In my last posts about N95 GPS http://sadjadbp.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!21F12BB61B822DFA!326.entry & http://sadjadbp.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!21F12BB61B822DFA!317.entry I’ve mention about software named SmartComGPS http://www.wild-mobile.com/eng/viewproject.php?mid=b2d472166bbd3016587cfc659c792435 but after days of research I’ve found a better application for Tehran & Iran (نقشه تهران) Map called Garmin Mobile XT for Symbian http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00579-00 and also a great map of IRAN for Garmin GPS (any type of GPS of GARMIN) http://www.global-map.net/iran/ believe me this map of tehran is amazing every details you may need is there and also it is just 7.10MB because it is not image or bmp like SmartComGPS, it is vector base so it needs smaller files to work with, but also it will need faster CPU but you can zoom as much as you want.
I’ve used these combination last night and WOW the N95 is now greater, if you want you can buy a GARMIN handheld GPS device for about 500$ and also buy this map for 350$ or you can buy N95 and just leave me comment and I’ll provide you for a way to install all this things for nothing, decision is yours now 😉
Update #1: I’ve found another great application for N95 GPS called ExtGPS http://www.symarctic.com/beta/index.php?category=1 that let’s you use your N95 as an external Bluetooth GPS Device and you can now use it from your laptop or another handheld device like Windows Mobile or your Pocket PC. This is now in BETA and a Java Application and only work with Bluetooth, maybe some day native symbian and USB comes out which would be the BEST.
Update #2: As I see lots of people having problems with this great application and map, I’m gonna write so more about them:
- First you need to download the Garmin Mobile XT from http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00579-00
- Beware that all Garmin Mobile XT softwares (either help and basemaps) need to be installed from Windows when you attached your phone as Mass Storage via USB so the software will install the write into Memory Card of you phone. So you may use a card reader too but I prefer Phone via USB.
- This application needed to be registered before you can use the Internal GPS, so if you have N95 and you didn’t register (or cracked) the software yet, you’ll see the Bluetooth option, so don’t panic. And also People N80 does not have Internal GPS (that’s way we call N95 "The Great N95" because it has everything) so if you want this software you must use External Nokia Bluetooth GPS, but if I were you I would upgrade to N95.
- I have found some illegal information here http://www.phalls.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35357 so you may take a look there too.
- But if you want me to tell you what to do (it would be faster) download http://cid-21f12bb61b822dfa.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Garmin%20GPS.zip and follow instructions.txt
- And now the application is ready to use, but if you want to whole world basemap and help files you can download them from here https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsUpdates.jsp?product=010-00579-00&cID=139&pID=420 for free and install them. And then the software would just looks like a Garmin Handheld device, and you would be happy ’cause you didn’t pay 500$ for a GPS handheld and 350$ for Iran map, but you just have a Great N95.
Update #3: Some people still having problems, so you may do what I’ve told you step-by-step and also mention that:
- Don’t forget to install Basemap, it is good, it adds the whole world and also the backcolor of iran map become yellow which is just like Garmin Handheld devices so you maybe very proud of you N95 becuase it worked just like a 500$ GPS device and more 😀
- Also for people having problems in founding Built-in GPS device option in "Setting>Remote GPS" if it is set to Bluetooth you may need to Disable it by using Left-Key (left softkey is set to disable) in "Setting>Remote GPS" and then you may see those options.
- Also a reboot may help you.
Update #4: First I gotta thank you all people for you kind comments,I never though that these many people would be interested in my blog ever. I think most of people here forgot about support and basemap files, people they are great and I think you must install them after you install the main application. The Help & Support & Voice Files (English) can be downloaded from https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsDetails.jsp?id=3493&product=010-00579-00&cID=139&pID=420 and they are great. Also the basemap, which add the whole world’s map, can be downloaded from https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsDetails.jsp?id=3645&product=010-00579-00&cID=139&pID=420 . And also Thanks PAYAM, for informing me about E90, yes this application works on every S60 3rd Edition or Symbian 9.0 S60 with or without built-in GPS receiver. But you know having Build-in GPS receiver is much better, like Nokia N95, N95 8G, N82, E90 and if you tested on something else tell me about it (and someone on comments wrote about N80). And also after testing Garmin you may test the Google Map for Symbian (v2.0.5 Beta with My Location Feature) by browsing http://www.google.com/gmm from your phone, which is something amazing (all the world, but you may need GPRS for outdoor use) and if you live in IRAN google blocked us all, so you may search in http://www.ipmart-forum.com which is a great forum (better say download center).
Update #5: Some people asked about routing and navigation map for Tehran. I gotta tell you that’s a dream will (never) come true. People in Iran GIS are doing no s..t so we would never can have these things in iran, you better be thinking about leaving.
Anyway, if you need any help just leave me a comment here,